Boise, Idaho – Our kids are heading back to school. How can we help them prepare themselves for another challenging school year?
During vacation, younger kids are very busy playing and other fun outdoor activities, so they have the tendency to be in vacation mode when the school year begins. Here are some tips on how we can help them be ready for the start of school year:
- We can help them getting them into their school routine as soon as possible – like getting to bed earlier and avoiding late night movies or gadget usage.
- Help them by reading books and engaging them with fun learning activities that challenge their brains.
- Involve them in buying school supplies so the excitement of going back to school will be on their mind, let them choose the kind of notebooks and clothes they need for school.
- Also involve them in planning the meals that they will bring to school, remind them to always choose healthy meals if they will be buying food at the cafeteria.
- Always encourage them.
Education is very important and that’s why in Idaho the quality of Education is a priority from the beginning of a child’s school life through college.
The Idaho Education System aims to provide academic excellence to all the kids enrolled in public schools. In Idaho we have 736 public schools, serving 289,884 students. Idaho is the 40th largest school system in the United States. There are 8 Blue Ribbon Schools, 20 magnet schools and 17 special education schools.
In Idaho there are both private and public schools, the main difference between the two is the source of their funds. Public schools are funded by local, state or the federal government while private schools are generally funded by the tuition fees paid by the students. There are 4 types of public schools:
- Traditional public
- Magnet School – These are schools that specialize in a particular area such as science, technology, foreign language or arts.
- Charter School – A hybrid between public and private school.
- Online School – The newest option in public school education. It has the same requirements as traditional public school but students attend class online instead of going to a school building.
There are many options a parent can consider in their child’s education, it is important to listen to your kids on what type of school they want to be in and also observe in which areas they excel and decide what can be the best option for them. It is Back-to-School and all kids are excited to be in school and to learn and have fun with their friends and teachers!